Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions – Information for Students Planning to Come to Manchester
(updated March 2021)
Our main priority is our students and staff’s health and welfare, so we have taken a series of measures to make the premises as safe as possible. Procedures will be explained to students before arrival and on their first day at school.
We have written this document to answer some of the questions that students are often asking us at the moment. We will update this information as things change over the coming weeks and months.
You can see full details of current restrictions in the Greater Manchester area on the government website here
COVID 19 Cancellation & Postponement Policy for Students taking an English Language Programme (not including English + Football)
Before You Travel
For full details please see the UK Government website here
What will be different in my life in Manchester? And my accommodation?
• Social distancing is 2m around the airport, station, the street and all public places
• Face masks must be worn around the airport, station, in all public places and on public transport
• If you get a taxi from the airport to your new home in Manchester, you will also have to wear a face mask in the taxi.
What will be different in school?
• Social distancing is 2m throughout the school (except for people who live together)
• Face masks must be worn in all common areas, including the lounge and corridors. Masks are recommended but optional in classrooms. Visors are available on request.
• Temperature screenings on arrival
• Max 5 students and 1 teacher per class to allow social distancing; max 10 people in reception (inc staff)
• Paperless sign in – please, download Google Sheets and make sure you have a QR code reader available on your phone
• Some staff will continue to work from home to maintain social distancing, however there will always someone present to help you if you have questions or if there is an emergency (fire, accident, injury etc).
• School is entirely paperless and teachers and students will use ebooks and digital resources. Students should bring a laptop or tablet in class. Students can choose between an electronic book and a paper book. If you choose a paper book, we ask you to not share it with anyone and to keep it to yourself. Same for your pen, paper etc.
• Antibacterial hand sanitiser available around the school and antibacterial soap available in the toilets.
Please don’t come to school if you have symptoms of Covid19. Stay at home and contact us – we will help you to find a testing centre
Initially, students will come to school on alternate days. We will give you your timetable on your first day. On the days when you don’t come to school, your classes will be live online, with your normal group and teacher
• You don’t have to wear a face mask at home.
• If you have to quarantine, please remember that you are not allowed to leave your home, even to go to the shop, until the end of the period. For that period, it is best if you stay in your room as much as possible (sorry, we know it’s not much fun!)
Riverside House Student Residence
Please click here to view the Riverside House safety measures.
Tour of School
Take a look around school with Director, Mick Brennam, and see the coronavirus precations in school.