Information for parents of students aged 16-17
IH Manchester welcomes students aged 16 and 17 years old. Our staff have a lot of experience with this age group. We believe that students of this age can benefit enormously from spending some time learning English in the UK, living with a host and immersing themselves in a different culture.
Students of this age are considered children, according to British law. Therefore, it is a requirement that students and their parents / guardians accept and follow our rules for this age group, in order to maximise their safety during their stay.
Most of the students at our school are aged over 18. It is important that parents / guardians are aware that their child aged 16/17 will be studying in an adult environment. We do not provide 24/7 supervision for this age group. Not all of our social activities will be open to students aged under 18, but we try to always have regular excursions which they can participate in.
Please see below the main points of information about this age group – full details can be found in our policies.
Supervision and Independence
- Students may travel independently to and from the UK. Students will travel independently to and from school each day, and they buy and take care of their travel card or ticket.
- Students aged 16 and 17 are advised to use our arranged airport transfer service on arrival and departure. Parents who do not want this option will need to sign a separate form confirming this.
- Students have some independence and unsupervised free time. They must return to their homestay by 9pm each evening, unless they have permission from school to stay out later (school will ask parents to give written permission in this situation).
- Students must not stay overnight at another homestay home or at another location without permission from the school and their parents.
- Hosts will not leave students aged under 18 alone in the house for more than 4 hours except in rare circumstances.
- Student aged 16 and 17 may be accommodated in homestay with students aged 18 and over. (In single bedrooms).
Mobile phones must not be used in class.
Students aged 16 and 17 may participate in classes and social activities with adult students of 18 years and over. All students are permitted to leave school, unsupervised, during breaks and lunchtime.
IH Manchester does not provide travel insurance unless clearly stated in the programme details – It is the parents’ responsibility to arrange travel insurance for their child. If Guardme insurance is provided as part of the programme, parents need to decide if this cover is enough for their child’s requirements.
Our Welfare Officer is normally at school every day and is available for students to talk to if they have any problems or worries.
When signing our booking form parents give permission for photos / video of their child to be used for marketing purposes by IH Manchester.
- Exchange mobile phone numbers with your host when you arrive at their home, and keep their number with you. Also keep our school contact telephone number with you at all times. We have a member of staff available at all times in case students need our assistance.
- If students are sick and cannot come to school, they must ask their host to contact our welfare officer by 9am that morning.
- Internet access is available at the host house and at the school – please access this responsibly. Students or their parents will be liable for any additional internet costs incurred.
- Students must not invite guests to the host home without prior permission from the host.
- No smoking or drinking alcohol at any time, and no matches or lighters may be brought into school or the host house.
- Students will be liable for any damage or losses caused at the host house and parents will be informed of any charges.
- The host will wash the student’s clothes each week, bed linen and towels will be changed each week. Hosts will not go into the student’s bedroom without permission, and students must not enter other bedrooms in the house.
- The hosts are experienced with this age group. They will want to get to know you. Please discuss with them if there is any kind of food that you don’t like to eat, or if you have any problems at all.
- When signing our booking form parents give permission for their child to be registered at their hosts’ local medical practice, and to receive emergency medical treatment if required.